What are we going to do?

‘What we are going to do?’ a question asked at every rehearsal and often there isn’t an answer. Not that because I can’t give an answer, but our group didn’t quite work out who were as a ‘Company’ and hadn’t quite worked out our social hierarchy as of yet.  Of course, we knew our roles, I the Director, Jay, the producer and Dan, the Stage Manager. It made sense for us three to be in charge but with a fresh, new group it took us a while to find our feet and take charge.

After the first few rehearsals, witch unfortunately weren’t all that productive. With a company of nine people and hearing nine voices all at once and trying to bring them all together without clear leadership was a next to impossible task. Dan, Jay and I decided to do something about it. We spoke to our group and placed ourselves at the top of the hierarchy like roles would suggest. The group were happy for us to do this, Dan, Jay and myself met up weekly and planned each rehearsal beforehand so that the dreaded question ‘What are we going to do?’ would never be met in silence again.