Performing as Joanna

In addition to creating and sourcing props for the show, I am performing as the character of ‘Joanna’ who has been a struggle for me to get to grips with. Joanna is an extremely fiery character who doesn’t allow people to get in her way, particularly Beth (Emily Bickerdike), with whom she is caught up in a sales war with. However, Joanna is losing the battle as she struggles to care for her ill father and stay in the office to make sales. Her delusion is set during World War 2, in which she sees Beth as a Nazi; the ultimate villain in Joanna’s mind. Despite her best efforts in this ‘war’, she knows she is losing, with her units eventually being destroyed and her bunker hit with a missile.

18699370_299452067163934_6247331401385121755_o
Joanna’s War Delusion (Howard Rees-Jones, G. 2017)

The difficulty with getting into the character of Joanna is trying to find the vulnerability within her, as she puts up such a good front in the office around everyone else, until she is around Zoe (Holly Lomas). When together, both of these characters can finally be themselves and their friendship shows a real different side to both characters, which allows our audience to empathise with them and really become invested in the show.

Despite her fiery attitude, Joanna is not an all-out horrible person and knows when to admit defeat. Despite her having her delusion, she is very much a realist and accepts life for what it is, more so towards the end of the play. After it’s announced that Joanna has not got the promotion, she accepts it gracefully and congratulates Beth on her success, despite their previous hatred for each other.

I feel if we were to perform Kalopsia again, I would do a lot more work into discovering who Joanna is and what has led her to behave in the way that she does. I would certainly ask a lot more questions of who she is and what has led her to make the decisions she has in life. Overall though, I will miss playing such a brilliant character who has become one of my favourite roles to play at University.

Kalopsia dressing room
Getting into Character (Howard Rees-Jones, G. 2017)